Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas Wish


As my daughter and I were watching the snow fall from the dining room window today, I felt several emotions--actually...it was just a few things to grump about.

1. I was angry that my plow guy had not come yet

2. I was thinking how we would pay the plow guy 30$ today another 30$ on Sunday and another 30$ on Thursday and the weather man had no good news in the near future.

3. I wondered where it would be this time. My yearly fall. I don't try to fall every year...but like clock work, I fall every single year.

For the next 2 minutes, my mind wandered to several other things at once, "I am out of stuffing for the pillows", "I need to work on some Valentine display pieces", "I really need to get on that treadmill soon", "Christmas Cards!! Mail them before it is too late!" "how many more Christmas presents do I need to get?" , "where will I go??", etc....my heart started racing to the point I could not stand in that spot one more second. As I was turning to leave, I saw my daughters face. She was still looking outside and...smiling. Her eyes sparkled and her face was so genuinely happy. With all my worrying and internal complaining, I almost missed one of the most beautiful memories of my life. She looked up at me and whispered, "It's Christmas, Maman".



I think 2008 has been a difficult year for most people, for one reason or another. The recession, expectations,...the ice storm--oy!. Typically, people adapt and bounce right back. But as we get older, we may feel the springs may be getting weaker...because they are not bouncing back so quickly anymore. Problems are a season in life--it is not forever and, eventually, the problems will pass. But, time is not friendly and while we sit and worry about tomorrow, today is already passing.

When I asked my daughter what her Christmas wish was this year she said, "I wish everyone could be happy and not sad and that snow was a warm blanket I could cover up in!"

That was mine too.

Wishing you a peaceful Christmas/Holiday and a new beginning in 2009.

1 comments:

bevnorton said...

Lisa, We learn so much from children, our own included. Take some time this quieter after holiday season to recapture your inner child as well and may the Christ Child captivate you today, tomorrow and forever. I so enjoyed meeting and spending time with you in 2008 - Merry Christmas & Happy, Healthy 2009 :>)) Bev N.